Chevron Background

September 18, 2013

Revising the Interiors...

Lately, we've been dealt a few bad hands. From roots in our water pipes to our lil baby covered in hives- we've been served up a lot we did not see coming. Fortunately with some patience, thankfully an emergency fund, and ridiculous trips to Trader Joes and Whole Foods...we were able to overcome.

I'm now laser focused into things I can change! I found a project that isn't expensive but wow was I off in my estimates of how long this would take. I was thinking 1 day...2 days tops. Two weeks of picking at this project and I'm almost done!

Here's where I started. All our interior doors were this nice light wood color...


The door knobs were all a dull brass color... 


This part of our house was just itching (too soon?) to let go of the old and embrace the new. 

I removed all the door knobs and started sanding. Sanding was super easy- and the best part was the door knobs are small enough where I could sand them down while watching tv. Nothing like being lazy ... while appearing like you are working on a project. 

Before...




After...

I picked up some Rustoleum spray paint for ORB (oil rubbed bronze) and went to town spraying all of the parts to the door knobs. For a few great tricks look no further than here


The reason this project took as long as it did was just poor planning on my part. As soon as I open up the primer to paint, I find out I only have enough for 1 coat for 5 doors. As soon as I start spraying the door knobs, I find out I need to wait at least 24 hours. As soon as I think I'm done spraying, I find out I've missed many spots.


The doors took 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of white interior paint. I was under the silly assumption they would be done with 1 of primer 1 of paint. No sir. 

Fortunately, everything eventually worked out and here is the finished result...


Still working on how I can possibly ORB those hinges without needing to take the door off...?

What are you up to lately? Any fun DIY'ing out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment