Chevron Background

June 11, 2013

DIY: Bookshelf

Last week's $5 craigslist find turned into a really fun project and I couldn't be more happy with the results.

After finding this Ikea bookshelf for $5 on Craigslist, in black, I knew it needed a little updating. Two coats of paint and it was already looking more ready for a girl's room. 
I found 1 pattern of fabric I really liked in 3 different colors, all 30% off from Hobby Lobby, heyo! From there I cut a piece of cardboard for a template, then cut my material. I did some pinteresting & googling to try and find a good solution of how to get the fabric to stay attached to painted wood. 

The best answer I could find was adhesive spray. I picked up Elmer's Spray Glue. I figured the brand and I had a connection since I ate it as a toddler, so I gave it a shot.

If I were to do this project again, I'd probably do scrapbook paper and adhere it with a staple gun. For some reason I thought fabric would be easier? Silly me.

So after spraying, cutting, spraying, reworking, spraying again, I finally got it set. It took approximately 1 day to get the gunk off my finger tips- but small price to pay. I did also add tacks to all 4 corners of every shelf just to make sure the fabric stayed in place.
While the glue left some marks- I figured, it'll be covered up mostly by books anyways? Again, definitely trying scrapbook paper next time.  


Total Cost:
$5 Bookshelf
$6 of Fabric (3 yards $2 ea)
$0 Paint- already had
$5 Elmer's Glue Adhesive
$16

Under $20 and it's stinkin CUTE right? 

Now it's time to begin the search for the perfect book ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment